SAFETY AND FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

At Brefeld, we put your safety as our number one priority.  View our following safety tips and frequently asked questions about gas.

What should I do if I smell a strong odor of gas (smells like rotten eggs)?

Get out of the house immediately. Don’t turn any electrical switches on or off or use a flashlight or the telephone. An electric spark from any electric or battery-powered device, or even from static electricity, could ignite a gas leak and cause an explosion. Call (618) 224-7466 from a neighbor’s house as soon as possible. Never try to locate the source of a gas leak yourself.

What should I do if I smell a faint odor of gas?

Even if the smell of gas is faint, don’t take any chances. Leave the house and call us at (618) 224-7466.

Should I use my oven to heat my home?

No. Using the oven or range to heat your home can produce dangerous carbon monoxide gas. Carbon monoxide is referred to as the silent killer because you can’t smell the fumes, so the results can be deadly. Using the stove as a heating source also can damage the appliance.

What should I do in case someone becomes a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, fatigue, nausea and heart palpitations. Victims should be moved to fresh air immediately and given medical attention as soon as possible. In the event of a carbon monoxide buildup, open doors and windows to ventilate the house, then leave as quickly as possible.

What should I know to keep children safe around heaters and pipes?

Don’t let young children use the stove or oven or touch pipes leading to water heaters or ranges.

What do I need to know to be safe around gas space heaters?

If you use a gas space heater anywhere in your home, make sure the room in which it is used is always ventilated to the outside. Never sleep in a room with a gas or kerosene heater that is not vented.

© Copyright 2018. All Rights Reserved. TechKnow Solutions, Inc.